- 1A tropical American plant of a genus which includes the prayer plant and the arrowroot.
More example sentences
- Genus Maranta, family Marantaceae
- Officially known as marantas, prayer plants are so called because the leaves of some species fold upwards, as if in supplication to the gods.
- Scheffleras and marantas also revel in warmer, humid conditions.
- The maranta and calathea are other such plants.
modern Latin, named after Bartollomeo Maranta, 16th-century Italian herbalist.
More definitions of marantaDefinition of maranta in:
- The US English dictionary