Definition of mariachi in English:
noun (plural mariachis)[as modifier]
1Denoting a type of traditional Mexican folk music, performed by a small group of strolling musicians.
- Their most eclectic record to date, Sea Of No Cares is the result of the quartet experimenting with flamenco guitars and mariachi trumpets.
- While in Mexico he heard a mariachi tune called ‘Frenesi.’
- The show closed with a rousing mariachi finale.
1.1A musician in a group performing mariachi music: a town where roving mariachis still appear on Saturday nights [as modifier]: a mariachi band
More example sentences
- Members of the University of Texas Show Band will perform, as will mariachis from Brownsville.
- During the period of study, the mariachis performed at the Arizona State Senate, the International Mariachi Festival, and numerous local concerts.
- It is a custom to have a band or group of mariachis playing at this final ceremony.
From Mexican Spanish mariache, mariachi 'street singer'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan