Definition of mariachi in English:
noun (plural mariachis)[as modifier]
1Denoting a type of traditional Mexican folk music, performed by a small group of strolling musicians.
- Their most eclectic record to date, Sea Of No Cares is the result of the quartet experimenting with flamenco guitars and mariachi trumpets.
- While in Mexico he heard a mariachi tune called ‘Frenesi.’
- The show closed with a rousing mariachi finale.
1.1A musician in a group performing mariachi music: a town where roving mariachis still appear on Saturday nights [as modifier]: a mariachi band
More example sentences
- Members of the University of Texas Show Band will perform, as will mariachis from Brownsville.
- During the period of study, the mariachis performed at the Arizona State Senate, the International Mariachi Festival, and numerous local concerts.
- It is a custom to have a band or group of mariachis playing at this final ceremony.
from Mexican Spanish mariache, mariachi 'street singer'.