- 1A plant of the daisy family with yellow, orange, or copper-brown flowers, cultivated as an ornamental.
More example sentences
- Genera Calendula (the common (or pot) marigold) and Tagetes (the French and African marigolds), family Compositae
- Dark-leafed Heuchera ‘Palace Purple’ and bright orange pot marigold add contrast and stop the group looking wishy-washy.
- Fast-growing annuals such as nasturtium, candytuft and pot marigold can still be sown.
- Poppies, sweet peas, pot marigold and gilia are all waiting in our yard for attention.
late Middle English: from the given name Mary (probably referring to the Virgin) + dialect gold, denoting the corn or garden marigold in Old English.
More definitions of marigoldDefinition of marigold in:
- The US English dictionary