A large edible billfish of warm seas, which is a highly prized game fish.
- Genera Makaira and Tetrapterus, family Istiophoridae: several species
More example sentences
- The blue marlin and its cousins, the white marlin, swordfish and sailfish, bring up the rear.
- Although the crew reckoned it was a poor day, we still caught two good sailfish, a white marlin and a barracuda.
- Billfish fall into four groups, treated under marlin, sailfish, spearfish, and swordfish.
early 20th century: from marlinspike (with reference to its pointed snout).
Definition of marlin in:
- The US English dictionary