- 1The wife or widow of a marquis.More example sentences
- ‘We have already agreed that this is the badge of a marquis or of a marquise,’ said he.
- Parenthetically I would mention that the flirtatiously deferential pose of the woman in Morning, with her tilted head and averted eyes, highlights the surprisingly uncoquettish demeanor of the marquise.
- The loss of her mother affected Marion's ability to sleep for more than one or two hours at a time, making her an ideal ‘busy girl’ for the marquise, who demands a servant's presence to guard her through the night.
- 1.1A woman holding the rank of marquis in her own right.More example sentences
- With her thirtieth year had come promotion to the rank of duchesse, although she preferred the tide of marquise.
- Within four months the king made her marquise de Pompadour and pensioned her husband off to farm in the country.
- She then became the official mistress of Louis XV and marquise before ending up as lady-in-waiting to the queen, de facto minister, and pious, platonic consort of the king.
- 2A finger ring set with a pointed oval gem or cluster of gems.More example sentences
- If you have short fingers or small hands wearing a marquise or oval shape diamond ring will wear your fingers look longer.
- A five stone diamond, 18 carat gold eternity ring; an 18 carat gold marquise oval cluster ring; and an 18 carat gold single diamond twist ring were taken.
- The reason it was newsworthy this time was the fact that she had been recently spotted sporting a huge marquise cut diamond ring on the all-important ring finger.
- 3 archaic term for marquee.More example sentences
- Pressed metal was widely used in the late 1800s and early 1900s to decorate ceilings and walls as well as exteriors such as store fronts, awnings, marquises and building cornices.
- The world's most successful musical theater impresario had his muse and the muse had roles written for her and her name spelled with big letters on theater marquises.
- 4A chilled dessert similar to a chocolate mousse.More example sentences
- In comes a white chocolate marquise and a French brioche toast with strawberries and ice cream.
- The chocolate marquise is fabulously simple, and if you wanted you could equally serve it frozen as a parfait.
- The dark chocolate marquise with two chocolate sauces had hardly arrived at the table when it disappeared, testimony to its excellent flavour.
early 17th century: French, feminine of marquis.
More definitions of marquiseDefinition of marquise in:
- The US English dictionary