A coarse European grass of coastal sand dunes, binding the loose sand with its tough rhizomes.
- Ammophila arenaria, family Gramineae
More example sentences
- I followed Sean away from the beach, down the sandy paths where the marram grass gave way to bracken and scrubby trees, deeper and deeper into the dunes.
- A steep sand cliff rose 50m from the coast to form a complex system of dunes fixed by marram grass with areas where competitors faced soft energy-sapping sand.
- These are not straggly, marram grass-threaded dunes as we know them.
mid 17th century: from Old Norse marálmr, from marr 'sea' + hálmr 'haulm'.
Definition of marram grass in:
- The US English dictionary