A tall pink-flowered European plant which grows in brackish marshes. The roots were formerly used to make marshmallow, and it is sometimes cultivated for medicinal use.
- Althaea officinalis, family Malvaceae
More example sentences
- The first marshmallows were made by combining the juice of the marsh mallow flower with eggs and sugar and beating it into a foam.
- For such a man these herbs should be used: lupin, helenium (which we call elf-dock), marsh mallow, dock elder, wormwood and strawberry leaves.
- Preparations of Marsh Mallow, on account of their soothing qualities, are still much used by country people for inflammation, outwardly and inwardly, and are used for lozenge-making.
Definition of marsh mallow in:
- The US English dictionary