- A Eurasian lily that has small purple flowers said to resemble turbans. Also called Turk's cap lily.
More example sentences
- Lilium martagon, family Liliaceae
- For later, there are martagon lilies and Lancifolium, and in the autumn Cyclamen hederifolium cannot be bettered in flower and leaf.
- The Martagon Lily offers a candelabrum of up to 25 blooms.
- In damp places, look out for the beautiful tall, pink Martagon lily with its maroon spots.
late Middle English (as mortagon): from medieval Latin martagon, of uncertain origin; cf. Ottoman Turkish martagān, denoting a kind of turban.