Definition of martensite in English:
noun[mass noun] Metallurgy
A hard and very brittle solid solution of carbon in iron that is the main constituent of hardened steel.
- The martensite of quenched tool steel is exceedingly brittle and highly stressed.
- Trip steels have a microstructure with retained austenite, ferrite and martensite.
- The ability of steel to form martensite on quenching is referred to as the hardenability.
late 19th century: named after Adolf Martens (1850–1914), German metallurgist, + -ite1.
- Example sentences
- The swirler is formed of a powder sintered compact of martensitic stainless steel having corrosion resistance and wear resistance.
- The martensitic stainless steels are hardenable by heat treatment and are magnetic.
- Exceptions include highly alloyed ferritic stainless steels, some of the martensitic stainless steels, and a few of the free-machining grades.
Definition of martensite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan