Definition of martial arts in English:
Various sports, which originated chiefly in Japan, Korea, and China as forms of self-defence or attack, such as judo, karate, and kendo: [in singular]: tae kwon do is a martial art
More example sentences
- Judo is a martial art and an Olympic sport, which originated in Japan.
- He also runs regularly and has taken up two different martial arts - karate and wing chun, a form of tai chi.
- After all, aikido is a martial art for self-defense, so we become very sensitive to attack.
martial artist noun
- Example sentences
- Most martial artists are not in a position to criticize the techniques of others, for there are too many cases in which someone who appears somewhat weak turns out to be extraordinarily strong.
- One of the questions most often asked of martial artists is, ‘How long does it take to get a black belt?’
- Competition over the years has greatly enhanced the efficiency of techniques and boosted the level of martial artists.
Definition of martial arts in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.