1Causing great wonder; extraordinary: these marvellous technological toys are fun to play with
More example sentences
- You do though, after a while, start to wonder exactly where this marvellous country is.
- When an article gets visits in the hundreds, I wonder what marvelous prose has excited so many readers.
- The marvelous wonder that is your mind never ceases to amaze me.
1.1Extremely good or pleasing; splendid: you have done a marvellous job
More example sentences
- David said the volunteers had done a marvellous job and he was pleased to give them a boost when their energy levels ran low.
- Now we have a swimming pool, a marvellous garden and a splendid folly.
- So the crews, I think, did a marvelous job in coordination with the flight attendants.
excellent, splendid, wonderful, magnificent, superb, glorious, sublime, lovely, delightful, beautiful, too good to be true
informal super, great, smashing, amazing, fantastic, terrific, tremendous, phenomenal, sensational, heavenly, gorgeous, dreamy, grand, fabulous, fab, fabby, fantabulous, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, awesome, amazeballs, to die for, magic, ace, cool, mean, bad, wicked, mega, crucial, mind-blowing, far out, A1, sound, out of this world, marvy, dope, def, phat
North American informal neat, badass, bodacious, boss, radical, rad, peachy, boffo, bully, bitching, dandy, jim-dandy
US informal on fleek
British informal, dated capital, champion, wizard, corking, ripping, cracking, spiffing, top-hole, topping, beezer
North American informal, dated swell, keen
South African informal kif, lank
- Example sentences
- It features what he calls his ‘illusions,’ sleights-of-eye-and-mind that stagger around the lines between post-modernism, nostalgia, film references, and sheer aesthetic marvelousness.
- Nobody said anything of absolute total marvellousness and profundity, but we were all ourselves at our best, and we had a thoroughly good time.
- He was invoking the marvelousness of uncoordinated knowledge as a counterpoint to the socialists of his day who argued for the superiority of centralized, state-run, top-down coordination.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.