A utensil for mashing food: a potato masher
More example sentences
- Add in the crème fraîche and mash with a potato masher or a fork, until it forms a chunky purée.
- Mash with a potato masher and then transfer to a bowl.
- Remove the pan from the heat and, using a potato masher, roughly mash the contents, keeping some of the texture.
Words that rhyme with masherAsher, clasher, flasher, lasher, Natasha, pasha, rasher, Sasha, slasher, smasher, thrasher
1 informal A dandy of late Victorian or Edwardian times.
- The lyrics tell the story of two mashers ‘who seldom had any cash,’ but their evening bucked up when the two met two ladies whose ‘cheeks were in bloom, like the roses in June’.
- He was a high-tech dandy, financial impresario, and gentleman masher.
- My dad and the old masher discussed the weather, then the news and finally politics.
1.1North American informal A man who makes unwelcome sexual advances to women.
- Shame and hypocrisy are not ideal ways to deal with philanderers and small-time mashers.
- Her young son helps her to fend off mashers by rushing into their arms and crying ‘Daddy!’
- One day, I caught a masher who was chasing a girl.
Late 19th century: probably a derivative of slang mash 'attract sexually', 'infatuation', perhaps from Romany masherava 'allure'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.