- A compact group of mountains: the rock massif of ScotlandMore example sentences
- Only in the less fertile areas, such as the foothills of the mountain massifs, does the land seem to have been parcelled out among small proprietors.
- The Subtropical Westerly Jet is found to the south of the central Asian mountain massifs, in contrast to the boreal summer when the Tropical Easterly Jet occupies the upper troposphere to the south of the Himalayas.
- Turning north Michael passes through the dramatic mountains of the Hoggar massif before he pauses in the oil and gas fields of central Algeria.
early 16th century (denoting a large building): French, 'massive', used as a noun. The current sense dates from the late 19th century.
More definitions of massifDefinition of massif in:
- The US English dictionary