Definition of masthead in English:
1The highest part of a ship’s mast or of the lower section of a mast.
- Traditionally, mastheads and yardarms of RN ships were decorated with bunches of greenery, a task carried out by the boatswain's party in the dark hours of the night on December 24.
- The most unusual object we shipped was the masthead from the cruise ship Andrea Doria.
- The first stamp shows a sailor sighting land from the masthead of the 1502 ship.
2The title of a newspaper or magazine at the head of the first or editorial page: the paper lists forty smart writers on its masthead
More example sentences
- On the front page of this newspaper, above the masthead, you will find our motto ‘Born To Make A Difference’.
- An extract from this woodcut is in the masthead of this page.
- The design director, a masthead editor or the news desk should be consulted on doubtful cases or proposals for exceptions.
2.1chiefly North American The listed details in a newspaper or magazine referring to ownership, editorial staff, advertising rates, etc.
- Advisory Editors currently serving on the board are listed on the masthead.
- One of the more obvious is the new masthead on the cover of this magazine.
- It's to the point where maybe I should get credit in their mastheads.
verb[with object] Back to top
1 historical Send (a sailor) to the masthead as a punishment: get below, sir, or I’ll masthead you!
More example sentences
- Plus, for the actors, there's the chance to utter the kind of lines - "Get below, sir, or I'll masthead you!"
- If that observer is mastheaded, his range of vision is enormously increased as, again, is the visibility of the object by every additional foot in height.
- And in this stretch of ocean, lookouts were mastheaded at day-dawn and kept mastheaded until twilight of evening, when the Mary Turner was hove-to, to hold her position through the night.
Definition of masthead in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan