- A dog of a large, strong breed with drooping ears and pendulous lips.More example sentences
- News of the fatal attack has prompted enquiries from prospective owners to kennels that raise the dogs, which were originally bred from cattle dogs, mastiffs and bulldogs brought to the Canary Islands by British settlers.
- Others claim the bulldog resulted from the crosses between mastiffs and Dutch pug dogs.
- The two dogs were cross-breeds of a mastiff and bull terrier and were kept, presumably as pets, by a woman with very young children.
Middle English: from Old French mastin, based on Latin mansuetus 'tame'.
More definitions of mastiffDefinition of mastiff in:
- The US English dictionary