- Mammutidae and other families, order Proboscidea: many species
- All too often books written for a popular audience include animals such as mammoths, mastodons, plesiosaurs, ichthyosaurs, and the sail-backed Dimetrodon.
- Geologists say it probably once belonged to a woolly mammoth or a mastodon.
- In lower latitudes, mastodons and elephants, giant deer and ox, beavers, dogs and cats, and other familiar species existed in the forests and grasslands.
- Example sentences
- Then the really terrifying thought struck me: are acts of such atrocity the only way to get rid of mastodontic eyesores like these?
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek mastos 'breast' + odous, odont- 'tooth' (with reference to nipple-shaped tubercles on the crowns of its molar teeth).
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mas|to¦don
Definition of mastodon in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.