Definition of match play in English:
Play in golf in which the score is reckoned by counting the holes won by each side. Compare with stroke play.
- By waiving them, you waive the right to keep score in stroke play and to win the hole in match play.
- This costs her the hole in match play or a two-stroke penalty in stroke play.
- The thing to know about the honor is its application in stroke play vs. match play.
- match player noun
- Example sentences
- ‘He is a fantastic competitor and match player - probably the best match player ever,’ he said.
- Confidence high from victory, he is the better putter and the more experienced match player.
- He's a very tough match player and his safety was good throughout.
Definition of match play in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.