Play in golf in which the score is reckoned by counting the holes won by each side. Compare with stroke play.
More example sentences
- By waiving them, you waive the right to keep score in stroke play and to win the hole in match play.
- This costs her the hole in match play or a two-stroke penalty in stroke play.
- The thing to know about the honor is its application in stroke play vs. match play.
- More example sentences
- ‘He is a fantastic competitor and match player - probably the best match player ever,’ he said.
- Confidence high from victory, he is the better putter and the more experienced match player.
- He's a very tough match player and his safety was good throughout.
Definition of match play in:
- The US English dictionary