Definition of match play in English:
Play in golf in which the score is reckoned by counting the holes won by each side. Compare with stroke play.
- By waiving them, you waive the right to keep score in stroke play and to win the hole in match play.
- This costs her the hole in match play or a two-stroke penalty in stroke play.
- The thing to know about the honor is its application in stroke play vs. match play.
match player noun
- Example sentences
- ‘He is a fantastic competitor and match player - probably the best match player ever,’ he said.
- Confidence high from victory, he is the better putter and the more experienced match player.
- He's a very tough match player and his safety was good throughout.
Definition of match play in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan