- 1(In tennis and other sports) a point which if won by one of the players or sides will also win them the match: he saved all three match pointsMore example sentences
- She made 24 unforced errors in the first set and benefited from a controversial line call in the tie-break to save a match point.
- She double-faulted on her first match point, but won on her next when her opponent's backhand went long.
- Serving for her first place in the semi-finals of the French Open in 11 years, she tensed up, double-faulted and blew a match point.
- 2(In duplicate bridge) a unit of scoring in matches and tournaments: a convincing margin of 54 match pointsMore example sentences
- The winners of each score two match points and another two match points are scored by the pub with the higher total game point score over the four tables.
More definitions of match pointDefinition of match point in:
- The US English dictionary