- 1Very small pieces or splinters of wood: the bomb reduced the flimsy huts to matchwoodMore example sentences
- The full force of the waves hit us, rocking our little boat like a piece of matchwood.
- He did, however, blow his bottom off and reduce the kitchen to splintered matchwood.
- They had built a breakwater so ineffectual that any boat taking overnight shelter behind it was likely to be smashed to matchwood on the rocks.
More definitions of matchwoodDefinition of matchwood in:
- The US English dictionary