- 1Become actual fact; happen: the forecast rate of increase did not materializeMore example sentences
- Needless to say these jobs never materialised and in fact 175 jobs from the existing plant in Limerick were actually lost.
- The expectation was for an abrupt decline in consumer expenditures that, in fact, did not materialize.
- The salaries did in fact later materialize, and living within salaries is no form of corruption.
- 1.1Appear or be present when expected: the train failed to materializeMore example sentences
- We had been told to expect a rescue package but none had materialised.
- A mixture of reef sharks and bulls, they have an uncanny ability to appear behind you or materialise from behind a coral head only feet away.
- She crawled out of her sleeping bag and her dark head peered around the room once more, as though she expected her friends to materialise out of nowhere.
- 2(Of a ghost, spirit, or similar entity) appear in bodily form: he plays a teenager whose make-believe friend materializesMore example sentences
- There must be strange entities materializing from the ether, ghouls, ghosts, or spirits hanging out in the material world to warn or haunt us.
- Near Virginia City, Nevada, the spirit of a camel materializes, led by a dead man.
- This time he knew what it was before the ghost even materialized.
- 2.1 [with object] Represent or cause to appear in bodily or physical form: a medium, she was reputed to materialize substancesMore example sentences
- So, although the image of the coach abstracts the family dynamic into a mathematical or schematic imbalance, it also materializes it as one of mechanical and physical awkwardness.
- The government was on the brink of materializing it in 1995.
- However, these must now be materialized by the adoption of specific mechanisms to respond to the needs of defenders so that they can exercise their activities freely.
- More example sentences
- The ‘boxlike contraption’ only gradually comes into focus, beginning with the ‘black tiles of ivory’ and completing its materialization with the reference to music.
- The successful materialization of these fugitive images is a challenge.
- All this seemed extremely close to the kind of materialization of time that preoccupied Einstein.