- 1Relating to mathematics: mathematical symbolsMore example sentences
- His mathematical work covered Cartesian geometry and the theory of equations.
- He did important work on differential equations and applications to mathematical physics.
- His interests are in discrete differential geometry and mathematical visualization.
- 1.1Resembling mathematics in being rigorously precise: mathematical thinking he arranged the meal with mathematical precision on a plateMore example sentences
- The whole show was precise and mathematical, but full of subtle light, warmth and feeling.
- Yet there is nothing mathematical or precise about his career progression.
- We're also delighted by the mathematical precision that he's used in calculating the future.
- More example sentences
- This is done by logging evidence mathematically and anecdotally on cumulative records.
- Sheer power means little in chess because it is a mathematically near-infinite game.
- Someone more mathematically minded than myself might produce a formula to predict the levels of optimism among England fans.
late Middle English: from Latin mathematicalis, from Greek mathēmatikos, from mathēma, mathēmat- 'science', from the base of manthanein 'learn'.