Definition of matrilineal in English:
Of or based on kinship with the mother or the female line: a society founded on the matrilineal kinship principle
More example sentences
- A kinship system based on matrilineal clans was the source of Cherokee identity and the sinew of society.
- Many of Indonesia's ethnic groups have strong kinship groupings based upon patrilineal, matrilineal, or bilateral descent.
- The Akan domestic arrangements are based on matrilineal principles.
- Example sentences
- The matrilineal moieties, for example, articulate the matrilineally transmitted ‘flesh’ or totems.
- Family relations are traced back equally both matrilineally and patrilineally, and active kin groups often extend to the great-grandparents.
- Land rights pass patrilineally or matrilineally to surviving members of kin groups.
Words that rhyme with matrilinealfinial, lineal, patrilineal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.