- Of or based on kinship with the mother or the female line: a society founded on the matrilineal kinship principleMore example sentences
- A kinship system based on matrilineal clans was the source of Cherokee identity and the sinew of society.
- Many of Indonesia's ethnic groups have strong kinship groupings based upon patrilineal, matrilineal, or bilateral descent.
- The Akan domestic arrangements are based on matrilineal principles.
- More example sentences
- The matrilineal moieties, for example, articulate the matrilineally transmitted ‘flesh’ or totems.
- Family relations are traced back equally both matrilineally and patrilineally, and active kin groups often extend to the great-grandparents.
- Land rights pass patrilineally or matrilineally to surviving members of kin groups.
early 20th century: from Latin mater, matr- 'mother' + lineal.
More definitions of matrilinealDefinition of matrilineal in:
- The US English dictionary