- Characteristic of an older married woman, especially in being staid or rather fat: she was beginning to look matronlyMore example sentences
- Nevertheless, her plain delivery stripped of vocal runs, trills and decorations can make her long baroque arias sound staid and matronly.
- I was beginning to feel rather matronly, and now I'm back to the weight I've always been.
- Many deemed it too figure-hugging and too young, emphasising what looked suspiciously like a matronly figure, but it demonstrated nonetheless that this was a woman not afraid to experiment with her look.
More definitions of matronlyDefinition of matronly in:
- The US English dictionary