(also matryoshka doll)
noun (plural matryoshki /-ki/)
- another term for Russian doll.More example sentences
- As a whole it resembles the Russian matryoshka doll - layers of complexity which render easy solutions such as plebiscite or partition impracticable and call for a more sophisticated approach.
- The space doll - a matryoshka, or traditional Russian nesting doll - is actually a close-to-lifesize head and torso made of soft material to simulate human tissue, with embedded sensors to measure radiation exposure.
- Perhaps the best-known lacquered Russian folk art piece is the matryoshka, a series of wooden dolls that nest inside each other.
1940s: from Russian matrëshka.
More definitions of matryoshkaDefinition of matryoshka in:
- The US English dictionary