adjective, noun, & verb
Words that rhyme with matteat, bat, brat, cat, chat, cravat, drat, expat, fat, flat, frat, gat, gnat, hat, hereat, high-hat, howzat, lat, mat, matt, Montserrat, Nat, outsat, pat, pit-a-pat, plait, plat, prat, Rabat, rat, rat-tat, Sadat, sat, scat, Sebat, shabbat, shat, skat, slat, spat, splat, sprat, stat, Surat, tat, that, thereat, tit-for-tat, vat, whereat
- Botswana exports are dominated by diamonds, copper/nickel matte, beef and animal products; also exported are textiles and soda ash.
- It is thought that further mineral wealth awaits discovery; other exports are copper-nickel matte and beef.
- This will be designed to separate the matte / slag product transferred from the furnace.
Mid 19th century: from French (in Old French meaning 'curds'), feminine of mat (adjective) 'matt', used as a noun.
- Virtually inventing methods of composite mattes in film made the invisible man truly come alive and real.
- There were a lot, and I mean a lot of space scenes where you could actually see the mattes around the ships, sun and earth.
- Because of limited special effects technology at that time, you can easily tell that these are two mattes put together (with outlines around the ship showing like a beacon in the night).
Mid 19th century: from French, perhaps from mat (see matt).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.