An American herbaceous plant of the barberry family, which bears a yellow egg-shaped fruit in May. The plant has long been used medicinally.
- Podophyllum peltatum, family Berberidaceae
More example sentences
- If the method is adopted, increased demand for the American mayapple may make it a new alternative crop.
- They might remind you of mayapple or of pachysandra.
- I have christened it the ‘Mandrake’ (the name used for the mayapple [Podophyllum peltatum] by various 16 th- and 17 th-century English poets).
More definitions of mayappleDefinition of mayapple in:
- The US English dictionary