noun (plural mayoralties)
- 1The office or position of mayor: the party failed to win the mayoraltyMore example sentences
- Positions such as mayoralties are not the property of certain parties to be carved up between them; they're the property of the people.
- His deeper political reason for calling lay in his design to become a candidate for the mayoralty position in Oakland, California.
- If none of the councillors win the mayoralty then three will go.
- 1.1A mayor’s term of office: the law was passed during his mayoraltyMore example sentences
- He purchased entrance to the franchise in 1350, at the beginning of Robert's first mayoralty.
- The city added 430,000 new jobs during his mayoralty - Gotham's greatest job growth ever.
late Middle English: from Old French mairalte, from maire (see mayor).
More definitions of mayoraltyDefinition of mayoralty in:
- The US English dictionary