Definition of mayoress in English:
1The wife of a mayor.
- He duly turned up on the day with his mayoress wife, Sue, and joined in the fun.
- The mayor of Swindon arrived in his full mayoral regalia with his wife and mayoress, Pamela.
- Born in Braintree, he moved to Chelmsford in 1959, when he married his wife, and now mayoress, Pamela.
2A woman holding the office of mayor.
- We intend to observe the traditions, customs and practices which are attached to the mayoral office and to do our best to meet the high standards established by previous mayors and mayoresses.
- She had been a deputy mayoress and a pillar of the community.
Words that rhyme with mayoressCarreras
Definition of mayoress in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan