- A painted pole, decorated with flowers, round which people traditionally dance on May Day holding long ribbons attached to the top: the schoolchildren dance round a short maypole erected on the greenMore example sentences
- I'm a little too old and far too creaky to dance round the maypole but I did do a little jig by the oak tree.
- Whatever happened to good old May Queen's, Morris dancing and ribbon dancing around a maypole.
- In many countries, a maypole with long ribbons attached to the top is part of the celebration.
More definitions of maypoleDefinition of maypole in:
- The US English dictionary