- Already they knew the food for the evening meal was ready.
- You can try adding the medicine to a small amount of food and giving it to your cat before her regular meal.
- They had gotten used to fairly regular meals since moving here, and he wanted to keep it that way.
- Here, cooks will prepare a light meal of mixed salad, tinned cold fish or meat, bread and cheese and fruit.
- This includes the lecture, wine and a light meal of French bread, salami and cheese.
- My mom would enjoy cooking those favourite healthy meals of hers in it.
Old English mǣl (also in the sense 'measure', surviving in words such as piecemeal 'measure taken at one time'), of Germanic origin. The early sense of meal involved a notion of ‘fixed time’; compare with Dutch maal 'meal, (portion of) time' and German Mal 'time', Mahl 'meal', from an Indo-European root meaning 'to measure'.
make a meal of
- British informal Carry out (a task or action) with unnecessary effort or thoroughness, especially for effect: he made a meal of it by falling dramatically to the ground clutching his faceMore example sentences
- Harris avoids making a meal of any of this, and for the most part avoids those ‘gosh we're in the presence of genius' moments.
- Michael Campbell, meanwhile, makes a meal of his birdie putt on the ninth, and is suddenly facing a tricky five-footer to stay at five under.
- The media makes a meal of this sort of thing, ourselves included I guess, precisely because it's so unusual.
- The examples compare corn silage to alfalfa hay, ‘normal’ silage, and corn grain plus soybean meal.
- A conventional soybean expeller saw an opportunity, became certified and started producing organic soybean meal and soy oil.
- Frequently, ground limestone is added to processed soybean meal to improve its flowability.
- Namibia's leading miller, Namib Mills, said on Wednesday it will reduce the prices of the staple food, maize meal and wheat flour products.
- ‘Even if the maize meal is available locally, the problem is that the price is too expensive,’ said Meygag.
- Although both soft and hard maize can be used for the manufacture of this meal, soft maize is prevalent in the region as it is grown more widely and is therefore more affordable.