Definition of mean-spirited in English:
Inconsiderate and unsympathetic: he’s an egotistical, mean-spirited, abusive man these reality shows all seem to be mean-spirited
More example sentences
- So, at seventeen, Andersen found himself in a classroom with eleven-year-olds, again an outsider and at the mercy of a mean-spirited, manipulative headmaster.
- Her laugh was infuriating and terribly mean-spirited.
- Without being petty or mean-spirited, she explained why what had so persuaded me had left her so unmoved.
- Example sentences
- I was shocked by the mean-spiritedness of his article, especially given the fact that it was written for a presumably educated and enlightened audience.
- I love my children in ways that can never be put into words, but there is no hiding the fact that they are imperfect creatures, capable of the same pettiness, resentment, and mean-spiritedness that sets us adults to warring.
- It is a movie that wants to show the venality, shallowness, bitterness, paranoia, mean-spiritedness and general desperation that most of us know lurks beneath the surface of Hollywood life.
Definition of mean-spirited in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan