noun[mass noun] Medicine
- The dark green substance forming the first faeces of a newborn infant.More example sentences
- Infants who pass thin meconium, which is yellow to light green and watery, are more likely to be healthy at birth.
- In 95 percent of newborns, meconium is passed by 24 hours of age.
- The question as to why some infants may discharge meconium in times of stress and other infants do not has not been well studied.
early 18th century: from Latin, literally 'poppy juice', from Greek mēkōnion, from mēkōn 'poppy'.
More definitions of meconiumDefinition of meconium in:
- The US English dictionary