Definition of mediastinum in English:
noun (plural mediastina ˌmiːdɪəˈstʌɪnə)Anatomy
A membranous partition between two body cavities or two parts of an organ, especially that between the lungs.
- The tumor, which is often but not always associated with cystic lung lesions, may arise in pulmonary parenchyma, the mediastinum, and pleura.
- On the lateral radiograph there appeared to be herniation of the left lung through the anterior mediastinum.
- The left main bronchus was exposed at the posterior mediastinum and separated from connective tissue.
- Example sentences
- One patient had extensive cervical, posterior mediastinal, and abdominal lymphadenopathy.
- Two patients presented with masses in the upper lobe of the right lung, simulating posterior mediastinal tumors.
- All men with mediastinal lung masses require a careful testicular examination.
Definition of mediastinum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan