- 1A small bushy tree of the rose family.
More example sentences
- Mespilus germanica, family Rosaceae
- The largest is a cherry tree, which is pruned to keep it in check, and there are vines, peaches, medlar and mulberry bushes to provide fruit.
- 1.1The small brown apple-like fruit of the medlar, which is only edible after it has begun to decay.More example sentences
- Fruits include the indigenous melons, grapes, mulberries, peaches, apricots, nectarines, and pomegranates, as well as medlars, persimmons, oranges, melons, and sweet lemons.
- In the back are pots containing a fruit paradise of quinces, medlars, lemons, pomegranates, citrons, even a limequat that apparently makes a mean marmalade.
- There are plenty of colourful fruits about, including dessert, culinary and crab apples, pears and medlars.
late Middle English: from Old French medler, from medle 'medlar fruit', from Latin mespila, from Greek mespilē, mespilon.
More definitions of medlarDefinition of medlar in:
- The US English dictionary