- The continuation of the spinal cord within the skull, forming the lowest part of the brainstem and containing control centres for the heart and lungs.More example sentences
- Located at the base of the skull, the medulla oblongata is continuous with the spinal cord at the foramen magnum.
- Many arterial branches arise from the vertebral and basilar artery to supply the medulla oblongata and the pons.
- In the lower part of the illustration is the cut surface of the medulla oblongata and a view of the ventral pons from below.
late 17th century: modern Latin, literally 'elongated medulla'.
More definitions of medulla oblongataDefinition of medulla oblongata in:
- The US English dictionary