Definition of meek in English:
Quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive: she brought her meek little husband along
More example sentences
- Saskia was active and roamed around her cot, lively and feeding hungrily, while Helena was meek, quiet and still.
- One can be quiet, meek and fun, while the other snarls, bites and attacks everything.
- What did the Government members on that committee say, in meek, quiet voices?
patient, long-suffering, forbearing, resigned;
gentle, quiet, shy, retiring, reverent, peaceful, peaceable, docile, lamblike, mild, demure, modest, humble, lowly, diffident, unassuming, self-effacing, unpretentious, unambitious, unobtrusive
submissive, yielding, unresisting, obedient, compliant, tame, biddable, tractable, acquiescent, deferential, weak, timid, frightened, spineless, spiritless, unprotesting, like a lamb to the slaughter
Middle English me(o)c (also in the sense 'courteous or indulgent'), from Old Norse mjúkr 'soft, gentle'.
- Example sentences
- Ham, reluctantly, accepted the former and meekly began packing up his papers.
- Vice-chancellors meekly turn the other cheek, terrified of losing cash.
- Peter was sitting meekly on the sofa, silently staring at the wall.
Words that rhyme with meekantique, batik, beak, bespeak, bezique, bleak, boutique, cacique, caïque, cheek, chic, clique, creak, creek, critique, Dominique, eke, freak, geek, Greek, hide-and-seek, keek, Lalique, leak, leek, Martinique, midweek, Mozambique, Mustique, mystique, oblique, opéra comique, ortanique, peak, Peake, peek, physique, pique, pratique, reek, seek, shriek, Sikh, sleek, sneak, speak, Speke, squeak, streak, teak, technique, tongue-in-cheek, tweak, unique, veronique, weak, week, wreak
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia