- A small southern African mongoose, especially the suricate.
More example sentences
- Suricata and other genera, family Herpestidae: three species
- Over the past year, we have been making a film on meerkats in the southern Kalahari.
- There are wallabies, meerkats, flamingoes, maras and tamarin monkeys in both zoos.
- Some animals, including meerkats, are able to distinguish between close and more distant relatives and non-relatives.
early 18th century: from South African Dutch, from Dutch, 'long-tailed monkey', apparently from meer 'sea' + kat 'cat', but perhaps originally an alteration of an oriental word; compare with Hindi markaṭ 'ape'.
More definitions of meerkatDefinition of meerkat in:
- The US English dictionary