- A large stone that forms a prehistoric monument (e.g. a standing stone) or part of one (e.g. a stone circle): a smaller circle of some forty ancient megalithsMore example sentences
- Their simple round-based pottery has sometimes given them the name ‘bowl cultures’, but they are better known for the construction of monumental tombs out of large boulders or megaliths.
- The potential significance of Nabta as a ceremonial site was further strengthened by the discovery of an arrangement of stone megaliths (large free standing stones) on the western edge of the Nabta basin.
- The terraced square of rough stone blocks follows the terrain, suggesting an odd reminiscence of prehistoric megaliths.
mid 19th century: back-formation from megalithic.
More definitions of megalithDefinition of megalith in:
- The US English dictionary