1Obsession with the exercise of power.
- His brash style and megalomania also make him enemies.
- World domination, absolute power and obsessive megalomania - there's been a lot of it about.
- This conviction frequently prompts its spokespersons to make irritating declarations that border on megalomania, the odious or the comical.
1.1Delusion about one’s own power or importance (typically as a symptom of manic or paranoid disorder).
- The paper has opened a nationwide debate on whether he should be allowed to continue in power now that he is revealing signs of megalomania and paranoia.
- It was the least of his transgressions in a career notable for its paranoia, deceptions, moral vacuum and megalomania.
- But Napoleon was probably beginning to suffer from megalomania: he had succeeded to such a tremendous extent that perhaps all things seemed possible.
- Example sentences
- Here we find many of the more megalomanic conclusions: ‘I am God’; ‘I want to be the brightest light, the greatest sun.’
- Seriously, just how do people get these megalomanic notions?
- His extensive knowledge of historical style contributed to, but was submerged beneath, forms dictated by megalomanic fantasies.
Words that rhyme with megalomaniaAlbania, balletomania, bibliomania, crania, dipsomania, egomania, erotomania, kleptomania, Lithuania, Lusitania, mania, Mauritania, miscellanea, monomania, nymphomania, Pennsylvania, Pomerania, pyromania, Rainier, Romania, Ruritania, Tasmania, Transylvania, Urania
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: meg¦alo|mania
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.