A large carnivorous bipedal dinosaur of the mid Jurassic period, whose remains have been found only in England.
- Genus Megalosaurus, suborder Theropoda, order Saurischia
More example sentences
- The discovery of the megalosaurus near Minchinhampton happened years before the word ‘dinosaur’ had even been coined.
- Clearly the megalosaurus in the opening passage of Bleak House is a flight of hyperbolic fancy (inspired, I would guess, by the papier-mâché dinosaurs constructed for the Crystal Palace Exhibition, a couple of years earlier).
- 'Iguanodons grew to five metres tall, while megalosauruses grew even taller, to eight metres,’ she said.
modern Latin, from megalo- 'great' + Greek sauros 'lizard'.
Definition of megalosaurus in:
- The US English dictionary