- A large ground-dwelling Australasian and SE Asian bird that builds a large mound of debris to incubate its eggs by the heat of decomposition.
More example sentences
- Family Megapodiidae (the megapode family), which comprises the scrubfowls, brush-turkeys, malleefowl, and maleo
- Instead of using body heat to directly incubate eggs, megapodes passively incubate eggs.
- What sets megapodes apart from these game birds is their extraordinary breeding behavior.
- Then there's the curious megapode, a big-footed bird that is built like a chicken and emits a cry they say sounds just like a cat's.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Megapodius (genus name), from mega- 'large' + Greek pous, pod- 'foot'.
More definitions of megapodeDefinition of megapode in:
- The US English dictionary