noun (plural megatheriums or megatheria)
- An extinct giant ground sloth of the Pliocene and Pleistocene epochs in America, reaching a height of 5 m (16 ft) when standing erect.
More example sentences
- Genus Megatherium, family Megatheriidae
- Several megatheriums and other rare species of the prehistoric era lived on this island.
- In Heuvelmans’ book there is also a chapter propounding the existence of megatheriums, or giant ground sloths, in South America.
- Giant ground sloths, or megatheria, stood up to six meters (three stories) tall and walked North and South America 2,000,000 to 11,000 years ago.
modern Latin, from Greek mega thērion 'great animal'.
More definitions of megatheriumDefinition of megatherium in:
- The US English dictionary