Definition of meiosis in English:
noun (plural meioses mʌɪˈəʊsiːz)[mass noun]
1 Biology A type of cell division that results in four daughter cells each with half the number of chromosomes of the parent cell, as in the production of gametes and plant spores: the sporophytes of green algae form spores only by meiosis [count noun]: no recombinants were observed in over 100 meioses Compare with mitosis.
More example sentences
- In most meioses, every chromosome pair, no matter how small, sustains at least one crossover - a so-called obligate crossover or obligate chiasma.
- They were able to work with 12 meioses (a three-generational family with four grandparents, two parents, and four children) and seven marker loci.
- My personal hope is that students will have some intuitive understanding of meiosis as the physical basis of genetics.
- Example sentences
- Males can, therefore, arise spontaneously, as a result of the rare meiotic loss of an X chromosome.
- Subsequently, one of the two mating-type alleles was lost during mitotic or meiotic divisions.
- Several models have been proposed to explain the mechanism responsible for meiotic recombination.
- Example sentences
- Systematic disruption of meiotically induced genes and analysis of the resulting sporulation phenotypes has uncovered many genes involved in various aspects of sporulation.
- Following selection, haploids produce gametes mitotically and diploids produce gametes meiotically that then enter the random mating pool.
- Triploids are often phenotypically normal plants but are meiotically unstable and therefore transient.
Words that rhyme with meiosisapotheosis, chlorosis, cirrhosis, diagnosis, halitosis, hypnosis, kenosis, metempsychosis, misdiagnosis, mononucleosis, myxomatosis, necrosis, neurosis, osmosis, osteoporosis, prognosis, psittacosis, psychosis, sclerosis, symbiosis, thrombosis, toxoplasmosis, trichinosis, tuberculosis
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.