- The chemical element of atomic number 109, a very unstable element made by high-energy atomic collisions. (Symbol: Mt)More example sentences
- Element 109 is named meitnerium, for Lise Meitner, who was the first to realize that uranium undergoes nuclear fission.
- They have anywhere from 13 isotopes to one isotope (e.g., hassium and meitnerium).
- The German proposal of ‘meitnerium ‘for 109 was allowed to stand, as were the names proposed for elements 101, 102, and 103 - ‘mendelevium, ‘‘nobelium, ‘and ‘lawrencium, ‘respectively.’
1990s: modern Latin, from the name of L. Meitner (see Meitner, Lise).
More definitions of meitneriumDefinition of meitnerium in:
- The US English dictionary