Definition of melamine in English:
1 Chemistry A white crystalline compound made by heating cyanamide and used in making plastics.
- The melamine / acrylic binder is also more brittle than other binder resins we have used.
- Sulphonated melamine formaldehyde condensate in the form of an aqueous solution was used.
- The direct pressure laminate is basically a one step process, whereby all the layers are fused directly to the core at the same time, and impregnated with melamine resins using heat and pressure.
2A plastic used chiefly for laminated coatings, made by copolymerizing melamine with formaldehyde: [as modifier]: a huge melamine coffee table
More example sentences
- Available in various materials such as bone, melamine, glass and plastic, there is a dish for every utility of your kitchen and the dining hall.
- There are metal forks and spoons, melamine Chinese spoons and plastic chopsticks.
- I found out only recently that melamine should not go into the microwave.
Mid 19th century: from German melam (an arbitrary formation), denoting an insoluble amorphous organic substance, + amine.
Words that rhyme with melaminecalamine
Definition of melamine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.