- A tumour of melanin-forming cells, especially a malignant tumour associated with skin cancer: melanomas can appear anywhere on the body [mass noun]: the incidence of melanoma is rising steadilyMore example sentences
- One form of skin cancer, malignant melanoma, can spread to other organs very rapidly.
- About half of malignant skin melanomas arise from pre-existing moles.
- Although they make up the smallest percentage of all skin cancers, melanomas cause the greatest number of deaths.
mid 19th century: from Greek melas, melan- 'black' + -oma.
More definitions of melanomaDefinition of melanoma in:
- The US English dictionary