noun[mass noun] Medicine
A condition of excessive production of melanin in the skin or other tissue.
- Erythema toxicum neonatorum, transient neonatal pustular melanosis, sucking blister, miliaria, and mongolian spots are among the many benign skin conditions that can occur in newborns.
- Various types of skin manifestations of arsenic toxicity were observed - from melanosis, keratosis, hyperkeratosis, dorsal keratosis, and nonpitting edema, to gangrene and cancer.
- A punch biopsy at the border of the lesion is necessary to rule out melanosis secondary to malignant melanoma that manifests as a generalized blue-gray skin discoloration.
- Example sentences
- Of the 9 metastatic melanomas, 5 were melanotic and 4 were amelanotic.
- Therefore, a final diagnosis of melanotic pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma was made.
- About 1% of all newborns have a congenital melanotic (black pigmented) nevus or birthmark.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.