- A grass with purplish florets, occurring in temperate woodland.
More example sentences
- Genus Melica, family Gramineae: many species
- The ground flora is dominated by dog's mercury, with sanicle, woodruff, wood melick and wild garlic.
- The male fern and broad buckler fern are also common, with occasional tussocks of wood melick.
- Locally rare plants found here are wood cranes-bill, wood meadow grass, large bittercress and wood melick, with globeflower abundant on the islands on the River Carron.
late 18th century: from modern Latin melica, perhaps from Italian melica 'sorghum'.