Definition of memoir in English:
1A historical account or biography written from personal knowledge: in 1924 she published a short memoir of her husband
More example sentences
- Tolstoy set out to write a personal memoir of O'Brian, but it turned into a full biography.
- Someone who writes a literary memoir, for example, is by necessity examining issues of self and identity.
- I've visited the U.K. more than a few times, and read many British novels, memoirs, biographies, histories and news articles.
account, historical account, history, record, chronicle, annal(s), commentary, narrative, story, report, portrayal, depiction, sketch, portrait, life, life story, profile, biography
autobiography, life story, life, memories, recollections, personal recollections, reminiscences, experiences, journal, diary, log, weblog, blog, vlog, moblog
1.1 (memoirs) An account written by a public figure of their life and experiences: a revealing passage from Khrushchev’s memoirs
More example sentences
- The memoirs of public figures are almost always interesting.
- As a rule, memoirs written by political figures do not remain memorable since the details supplied in them must have been widely publicised by the media long before they got into the book.
- So when such a towering figure has his memoirs published, it is a landmark event.
late 15th century (denoting a memorandum or record): from French mémoire (masculine), a special use of mémoire (feminine) 'memory'.
- Example sentences
- I told her no; gave her the names of a few funny memoirists who have chronicled their experiences dealing with weight issues in the ‘dating game,’ and sent her on her way.
- This, perhaps the greatest period of an already great life, has been sensitively written about by memoirists and historians.
- Tobias Wolff is a short story writer, a memoirist, a novelist, a father, a husband, a jazz aficionado, a hiker upon remote mountain trails, a winner of literary awards, a neophyte pianist, and the mentor of many young writers.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan